Kaimana van de waal
April 1, 2010
Cycle paper FINAL
Nathan Price is a man with a goal. Nathan Price is a stubborn man that seams like his priorities are screwed up. Nathan price is a father. Nathan price is a man that thinks that he needs to save people from sins and death. That’s a lot for just one man. Yet Nathan thinks/knows that he has god on his side. Just I think that maybe he is not doing the right thing, he might just be doing the exact opposite and god knows that, that is why god might not be helping him a whole lot.
What kind of world is this? That’s a question that is greater than all people on this earth. But Nathan must think that this world is not right and has problems. The world has so many problems and nothing is right except for his life with religion overflowing in his world. His world is right nothing is wrong or contradicting in his life because he only lives by the bible even if it gets in the way of being a loving father. Nathan has made many choices in his life that I think were wrong. Yet he comes in to Africa thinking that they are wrong and need help. Here is a quote that shows this in an example, "you are right. In America we honor both these traditions. But we make our decisions about them in different houses." Said Nathan "Then you may do so in America. I will not say you are unwise. But in Kilanga we can use the same house for many things. " Said Tata Ndu.(P.332) I think that this quote is very strong showing that Nathan is wrong and that some things in Africa might not be all that wrong. Tata Ndu is saying keep your American traditions in America and we don’t need your petty, that’s what I get when I read this. Also I think that people are actually starting to hate Nathan Price, for instance his own daughter maybe? When Nathan was being unreasonable Leah just got sick of it and went out to help her best friend, She says. "I'm going out there to help Nelson, and Father can go straight to hell." (P.358). I think that that little bit of words might be the strongest and most powerful sentence that’s in the whole book. She tells her own father to go to hell. That huge in so many different ways. Also earlier in the book Nathan also says and believes that the Congo might even be lesser or not as good as him or America or even GOD. " But father wasn't done with the doctor yet. He was hopping from one foot to the other and cried,
"Up to me to make amens? I see no amens to make! The Belgians ad American business brought civilization to the Congo! American aid will be the Congo's salvation. You'll see!" (P.121) This is an example of how Nathan thinks that he is the only one that is right. Yet we know that even though his youngest daughter died, he still thinks that he needs to go on with the lord's "work" and not show emotion and keep doing his "job" even if it kills another family member.
How does Nathan live in this world? I know that Nathan Price is wrong. I know that for a fact. I know that not everything he does is not wrong, he does have his moments of glory but very slim amounts. But I also know that Nathan is living his life with a great amount of stubbornness. I think that Nathan is not happy because if he were he would have a better relationship with his family. But a man needs to do what a man needs to do. Yet when this saying comes to mind I don’t think that Nathan is doing this for his family and doing it for himself. I think he either thinks that he has failed god before and is making it up to him or he is a complete idiot. This is because he is putting this mission before his family in his priorities, no man in his right mind would do something that clearly puts his child in danger that is just nature. Yet Nathan lets his child die and seams like he does not care. This man is mental and he is living his life to ruin other lives or worse…end them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment